A trip to the local library July 15, 2016 15:23
I've come to realize that I haven't been entirely truthful about not writing. You see, what I really mean when I say I'm not writing, is not that I'm not writing, but that I think what I am writing is crap.
I was writing, I am writing, and in fact, I always write. So much so that I've accumulated more written material than I know what to do with! I have articles on the art and business of cartooning, personal stories, and opinion pieces about just about every topic.
Which got me wondering about what and how much I want to share.
So I did what I always do when I experience ambivalence. I head to my local library and take out as many books on the subject that I can find. I read and read and I got clear that I'm a cartoonist and I'm going to write about cartooning! Stories and opinions about the art and business of cartooning, and of course there will be tons of cartoons. I know, I know, sometimes the obvious eludes me. Actually, often.
It's nice to be excited about the book again!
I'm writing! Still about not writing, but still I'm writing! April 22, 2016 13:15
Three days ago I decided to tell on myself and the mishmash that goes on in my head about my writing, and the result has been transformational.
I’m not surprised though, this has happened many times before. I get completely freaked out about something for days/months/years/decades, I tell on myself, people respond supportively, and I wonder what all the fuss was about.
I hope one day to be able to get past my issues without having to tell on myself. Truth be told, I find this process very embarrassing because …
1. I’m certain people think that I do this for approval, and although I do need to speak my truth to move through my fears, there’s a part of me that really likes the approval.
2. I believe that asking for approval is a sign of weakness, and as much as I don't want to be weak, I really don't want to be perceived as weak.
3. I’m mortified that I care what people think about me.
But I’m going to write anyway, and any day now I’ll be writing about something far more interesting than my issues around writing, until then, thank you for your understanding.
writing about reasons I don't write April 20, 2016 10:30
Today I wrote. Actually, I write all the time. I just don’t post what I write because …
1. I’m afraid that I won’t be able to protect my privacy and the privacy of others.
2. I’m worried that my writings will harm the Everyday People Cartoons brand that I've worked so hard to build.
3. I’ll discover that I’m actually only good at writing cartoons and the fantasy of being a real writer will have to die.
4. My writing is so very good that I'll soon be writing for Hollywood and I won’t be able to step out of my house without the paparazzi hounding me.
For the record, I’m aware that these reasons are not based in reality, but I share them anyway in the hope that shinning light on them will help me get over myself already!
not writing April 19, 2016 12:30
So blocked that I'm force-writing this post.
Just get the flow going again.
I have time, space and ideas, but I'm lacking that thing that tells me that what I'm writing is good and interesting.
But I'm writing anyway.
Here's the pomegranate lemon soda I went out for instead of staying in my writing space to write about me and my life.
It was yummy though.
One of a Kind Show Xmas 2015 December 14, 2015 15:02
It's been a thoroughly exhausting and exhilarating 11 days, and I'm sending a heartfelt thank you to everyone who came by my booth to make my first One Of A Kind Xmas Show a huge success!